Thursday, September 13, 2007

You Will Never Guess What This is a Chart of


You would probably never guess in a million years what this is a graph of. I drive by a large Kmart store almost every day. This is a chart of the number of spaces away from the front entrance to the store that the first empty parking space is (handicapped spaces are excluded). This is data from a little over a month.

Kmart, which is owned by Sears Holdings (SHLD), has improved in terms of the layout and cleanliness of the store, employees are around when you need them and very friendly and helpful. With the few times I've been in there during the last few months, I've never had to wait in line to check out. The problem is that there is that I've hardly ever seen any customers in there. I remember the days when you would be lucky to find a parking space within nine or ten spaces from the front; now it's about an average of three. I thought business would have picked up just before school started, but I guess not.

I'm not sure if more people are buying their music CD's, DVD's, and small appliances from Amazon.com (AMZN), and their clothes online from American Eagle Outfitters Inc. (AEO), Abercrombie & Fitch Co. (ANF), Gap Inc. (GPS), or J. Crew Group, Inc. (JCG), but they have definitely lost business.

Author does not own any of the above.

By Fred Fuld at Stockerblog.com

No comments: