Friday, February 15, 2008
Now that Valentine's Day has just passed, maybe it is time to look at chocolate stocks. Here is some trivia about chocolate:
1. The earliest documented use of chocolate was approximately 1100 BC.
2. The Mayans and Aztecs made chocolate beverages.
3. It can affect serotonin levels in the brain.
4. It can lower blood pressure.
5. It has a substantial amount of antioxidants that reduce the formation of free radicals,
6. It is associated with the Mayan god of fertility and the Aztec goddess of fertility.
7. Cacao beans were often used as currency.
8. Two-thirds of the world's cocoa is produced in Western Africa.
9. 43% of cocoa comes from te Ivory Coast.
10. 50 million people worldwide depend on cocoa as a source of livelihood, according to the World Cocoa Foundation.
Hershey Foods (HSY) is a large chocolate and confectionery company, one of the largest in the world, made famous by its Hershey Bars. The stock has a P/E of 39, and a yield of 3.3%.
Cadbury Schweppes (CSG) is a London based confectionery and beverage company which was founded in 1783. Some of their products include cocoa powder and milk chocolate bars. The stock has a P/E of 24, a PEG of 2.61, and a yield of 2.5%.
William Wrigley Jr. Co. (WWY) not only makes chewing gum which it is famous for but also mints, candies, and other candy products. Last year, the company bought an 80% ownership position in A. Korkunov, a Russian premium chocolate company. The stock has a P/E of 25, a PEG of 2.66, and a yield of 2.3%.
Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory (RMCF) is a very low cap Colorado based company which makes and markets chocolate and candy, including caramels, creams, mints, and truffles. The stock has a P/E of 15 and a yield of 3.5%.
Tootsie Roll Industries (TR) makes all kinds of candy including Tootsie Rolls, Tootsie Roll Pops, Caramel Apple Pops, Charms, Blow-Pops, Blue Razz, Zip-A-Dee Pops, Cella's, Mason Dots, Mason Crows, Junior Mint, Charleston Chew, Sugar Daddys, and Sugar Babies. The stock has a P/E of 24 and a yield of 1.3%.
J.M. Smucker’s (SJM), in addition to making preserves, also distributes dessert and ice cream toppings, such as their Chocolate-Mocha Spoonable Ice Cream Topping, Chocolate Syrup Sundae Syrup, Chocolate Fudge Spoonable Ice Cream Topping, Dark Chocolate Specialty Ice Cream Topping, Milk Chocolate Specialty Ice Cream Topping, and Dark Chocolate with Mint Spoonable Ice Cream Topping. The stock has a P/E of 16.5, a PEG of 1.84, and a yield of 2.5%.
Author does not own any of the above.
By Fred Fuld at Stockerblog.com
Posted by Stockerblog at 1:05 PM