Thursday, March 20, 2008
Some trivia about Alaska, the 49th state:
1. It is the largest state by area.
2. It is only one of two states which does not have a border with another state.
3. It is the 6th wealthiest state by median income.
4. It ranks 3th in the US for Gross State Product.
5. It has the lowest population density of any state.
6. 80% of the state's revenues come from oil.
7. Its third largest export after oil and gas is seafood.
8. It has the lowest individual tax burden in the US.
9. It has no state sales tax.
10. It has no individual income tax.
Alaska Communications Systems (ALSK) is an Anchorage based telecommunications company which provides local phone service, long distance phone service, Internet networking, wireless services, and satellite television. The stock has a PE of 17, a PEG of 5.04, and a yield of 7%.
First National Bank Alaska (FBAK.OB) is a member of the 'over-a-$1000-a-share club', currently trading in excess of $1800 per share. This Anchorage based bank was founded in 1922. The stock has a PE of 16 and pays a yield of 5.5%.
General Communication Inc. (GNCMA) provides provides cable television services, Internet access, landline and cellular telephone services throughout Alaska. The stock has a PE of 24, and a PEG of 2.43.
Alaska Air Group Inc. (ALK) owns Alaska Airlines and Horizon Air, and serves the western United States, Canada, and Mexico. The stock has a PE of 6 and a PEG of 1.1.
Alaska Power and Telephone Co. (APTL.PK), although based in Port Townsend, Washington, provides electrical energy and local and long distance telecommunications services in Alaska. The stock has a PE of 9.5. This is a very low market cap, and therefore, very speculative stock.
Alaska Pacific Bancshares Inc. (AKPB.OB) is the holding company for holding company for Alaska Pacific Bank. The stock has a PE of 11 and pays a yield of 2.1%. This is a very low market cap, and therefore, very speculative stock.
Author does not own any of the above.
By Fred Fuld at Stockerblog.com
Posted by Stockerblog at 11:19 AM