Sunday, April 18, 2010
Top Stocks of Maryland
The state of Maryland is centrally located in the mid Atlantic region, close to the Nation’s capital and some of the most populated areas of the United States. Its economy has grown to include the aerospace and defense sector which is made up of 2,600 companies and pays an average salary of $93,000. Other interesting facts about Maryland follow:
1. Agriculture is Maryland’s largest economic activity, employing a total of 350,000 people.
2. Broiler chicken accounted for 40% of Maryland’s total agricultural cash flows.
3. The High-Tech industry contributed almost 10,000 new jobs to the state of Maryland in 2009 alone.
4. Maryland per capita personal income was $48,285, ranking number 4 in the country.
5. Maryland’s total 2009 exports were $9.2 billion. The state’s biggest consumer of exports is Canada.
6. Transportation equipment, chemical products and computer and electronics are Maryland’s main exports.
7. Foreign companies in the state contributed a total of 106,000 jobs to the state economy in 2007.
8. Forbes magazine ranked Frederick, MD, as the second smartest city in the United States.
9. Maryland is the number one spender nationwide in research and development.
10. The state’s has a large aerospace and defense clusters with the top 16 aerospace companies (out of 25), and 70 top defense contractors (out of 100).
The following companies are headquartered in Maryland.
Lockheed Martin Corporation (LMT) is an aerospace company that produces and sells technology systems. The stock has a market cap of $30.8 billion, a PE of 11, a PEG of 1.30, and it pays a yield of 3.07%.
Marriott International Inc. (MAR) is a worldwide company in the hospitality industry. The company owns and franchises hotels, and other properties under 14 different brand names. The stock has a market cap of $11.8 billion, a PE of 35, a PEG of 5.18, and it pays a yield of 0.5%.
Host Hotels & Resorts Inc. (HST) is a real estate investment trust. The company invests in properties in The United States, Canada, Mexico, Chile, The U.K, Italy, Spain and Poland. The stock has a market cap of $9.7 billion, a PE of 26, and it pays a yield of 0.3%.
Constellation Energy Group, Inc (CEG) is an electric utility company. It operates in the United States, the company sells energy to other companies including utilities cooperatives. The stock has a market cap of $7.4 billion, a PE of 11, a PEG of 2.26, and it pays a yield of 2.6%.
Human Genome Sciences Inc. (HGSI) is a biotechnology company that develops and sells drugs to treat hepatitis C, cancer, lupus and other illnesses. The stock has a market cap of $6 billion.
Legg Mason Inc. (LM) is a company in the financial industry that provides asset management services to clients around the world. The stock has a market cap of $4.9 billion, a PE of 21, a PEG of 3.05, and it pays a yield of 0.4%.
Discovery Communications Inc. (DISCA) is a media company that delivers programming in the United States and internationally. It operates cable stations like the Discovery Channel, Animal Planet, and the Science Channel among many others. The stock has a market cap of $4.6 billion, a PE of 21, and a PEG of 1.17.
McCormick & Co. Inc. (MKC) is a producer and seller of processed and packaged flavor products. The stock has a market cap of $4.6 billion, a PE of 15, a PEG of 1.51, and it pays a yield of 2.7%.
Federal Realty Investment Trust (FRT) is a real estate trust that buys and redevelops retail properties in the United States. The stock has a market cap of $4.5 billion, a PE of 19, a PEG of 3.19 and it pays a yield of 3.6%.
Coventry Health Care Inc. (CVH) is a company that operates under the following three segments: the Health Plan and Medical services, Specialized Managed Care, and Workers Compensation. The stock has a market cap of $3.6 billion, a PE of 11, and a PEG of 1.11.
For stocks from other states check out Minnesota stocks, Kentucky stocks, and Nevada stocks.
Author does not own any of the above.