Wednesday, April 21, 2010
Top Stocks of New Jersey
Centrally located on the East Coast New Jersey is in a region where 100 million people reside with a collective purchasing power of over $2 trillion. Two major airports, the largest seaport complex (Port of New York and New Jersey) in the eastern United States and 35,000 miles of roads may explain why some of the world’s largest companies chose New Jersey as their home.
These are some interesting facts about New Jersey:
1. New Jersey’s per capita personal income was $50,313, the second largest in the United States in 2009.
2. 12.8% of New Jersey’s adult population has a master’s, professional, or doctorate degree.
3. Rhode Island exported goods during 2009 totaled $27.3 billion.
4. Chemical products were the state’s top export.
5. There are more high speed lines (wireless, ADSL and other) in New Jersey per one million people than in any other state, 614,814 lines per one million people.
6. The state of New Jersey is considered the seventh safest state in the country.
7. The agricultural industry contributed $1.12 billion to the state economy in 2008.
8. New Jersey is a top producer of peaches, tomatoes, cucumbers and blueberries.
9. 15 large pharmaceutical companies have operating facilities in the state.
10. New Jersey has the largest number of scientific professionals in the country, 184,000.
The following companies are headquartered in New Jersey:
Johnson & Johnson (JNJ) is a developer and seller of pharmaceutical, baby care, skin care, oral care, and other products. The stock has a market cap of $178.7 billion, a PE of 13, a PEG of 1.73, and it pays a yield of 3.0%.
Merck & Co Inc (MRK) is a company that researches, develops and sells medicines and vaccines for people and animals. The stock has a market cap of $114.6 billion, a PE of 11, a PEG of2.40, and it pays a yield of 4.1%.
Honeywell International Inc. (HON) is a producer and seller of turbine propulsion engines, auxiliary power units, and other electric power systems used in the aerospace industry. The stock has a market cap of $34.8 billion, a PE of 18, a PEG of 2.22, and it pays a yield of 2.7%.
Medco Health Solutions Inc. (MHS) is a company that provides pharmacy services to employers, health plans, government agencies and the general public. The stock has a market cap of $29.9 billion, and a PE of 19, a PEG of 1.15.
Prudential Financial Inc. (PRU) is a diversified financial company that operates in the United States, Latin America, Europe, and Asia. It offers retirement management services, investment services, and other financial related services. The stock has a market cap of $29.4 billion, a PE of 11, a PEG of 1.47, and it pays a yield of 1.1%.
Celgene Corp (CELG) is a biotechnology company that researches, produces and markets new therapies to treat cancer and immune-inflammatory patients. The stock has a market cap of $29 billion, a PE of 27, and a PEG of 1.19.
Automatic Data Processing Inc. (ADP) is an outsourcing company that provides several business functions to employers in the United States and abroad. The stock has a market cap of $22.1 billion, a PE of 18, a PEG of 1.66, and it pays a yield of 3.1%.
Becton, Dickinson and Company (BDX) is a developer and seller of medical instruments and devices in the United States and other countries. The stock has a market cap of $18.5 billion, a PE of 15, a PEG of 1.34, and it pays a yield of 1.9%.
Chubb Corp. (CB) is a property and casualty insurance company. The stock has a market cap of $17 billion, a PE of 10, a PEG of 1.11, and it pays a yield of 2.9%.
Public Service Enterprise Group Inc. (PEG) is a diversified energy company. It generates and sales electric energy and natural gas to customers in the United States. The stock has a market cap of $15.4 billion, a PE of 10, a PEG of 9.71 and it pays a yield of 4.5%.
For stocks from other states check out Georgia stocks, Louisiana stocks, and Alaska stocks.
Author does not own any of the above.