Friday, April 16, 2010
Top Stocks of North Carolina
North Carolina is a state with an increasingly diversified economy. The state is home to one of the largest financial institutions in the country as well as home to important biotechnology companies. Agriculture is still an important economic activity in the state.
Some interesting facts about North Carolina:
1. North Carolina’s top commodities by cash receipts for the year 2008 were broilers, hogs, greenhouse, floriculture and tobacco.
2. The state ranked 5th in burley tobacco production in the United States.
3. The state ranked 5th in cotton production in the United States.
4. 97% of all farms in North Carolina are considered family farms and 85% are classified as small family farms.
5. North Carolina’s Gross domestic product was $400 billion for the year 2008, the ninth largest in the country.
6. North Carolina is the sixth most visited state in the United States.
7. The state is the number one producer of sweet potatoes.
8. Asheville, NC was ranked sixth best place for business and careers by Forbes in 2009.
9. North Carolina’s attractions include Mt. Mitchell, the Great Smoky Mountains and Fort Bragg.
10. The nation’s second largest banking center is in Charlotte, NC.
The following companies are headquartered in North Carolina:
Bank Of America Corp. (BAC) is a banking company providing banking and non-banking services in the United States and abroad. Its customers are individuals, businesses, and government. The stock has a market cap of $188 billion, a PE of 24, a PEG of 4.07, and it pays a yield of 0.2%.
Lowe’s Companies Inc. (LOW) is in the business of selling home improvement products in the U.S. and Canada. The stock has a market cap of $37 billion, a PE of 18, a PEG of 1.63, and it pays a yield of 1.4%.
BB & T Corp. (BBT) is the holding company of Branch Banking and Trust Company, which is a company that delivers banking services to individuals, and businesses in the United States. The stock has a market cap of $23 billion, a PE of 23, a PEG of 3.33, and it pays a yield of 1.8%.
Duke Energy Corporation (DUK) produces, and sells electric power and gas in the United States and internationally. The stock has a market cap of $21 billion, a PE of 13, a PEG of 2.88, and it pays a yield of 5.9%.
Reynolds American Inc. (RAI) is a producer of tobacco and seller of cigarettes and other related products. It offers products under the names of Camel, Pall, Winston, Kool, Salem Misty, Doral and Capri. The company has a market cap of $15 billion, a PE of 11, a PEG of 1.84, and it pays a yield of 6.7%.
Nucor Corp. (NUE) is a manufacturer and distributor of steel and related products. The company sells its products in the United States and abroad. The stock has a market cap of $15 billion, a PE of 27, a PEG of 1.8, and it pays a yield of 3%.
Lorillard Inc. (LO) is a producer and seller of tobacco products in the United States. It sells cigarettes under the following names: Newport, Kent, True, Max, Maverick, and Old Gold. The stock has a market cap of $11.8 billion, a PE of 12, a PEG of 2.02, and it pays a yield of 5.2%.
Progress Energy Inc. (PGN) produces and sells electricity in North and South Carolina and Florida. The company generates electricity through coal, oil, hydroelectric, natural gas and nuclear power as well as several sources of alternative energy including solar, and hydrogen. The stock has a market cap of $11.1 billion, a PE of 13, a PEG of 3.3, and it pays a yield of 6.3%.
VF Corp. (VFC) is a company that designs and produces clothing for men and women. The company sells jeans under the names Lee, Lee Europe, and Wrangler among others. It also sells clothing under the following brand names: Vans, The North Face, and Lucy Brands among others. The stock has a market cap of 9.1 billion, a PE of 14, a PEG of 1.43, and it pays a yield of 2.9%.
Goodrich Corp. (GR) is an aerospace company. It delivers aerospace products and services worldwide to the aviation industry and defense and space industry. The stock has a market cap of $8.7 billion, a PE of 16, a PEG of 2.04, and it pays a yield of 1.6%.
For stocks from other states, check out Louisiana stocks, Puerto Rico stocks, and Arizona stocks.
Author owns BAC and PGN.
Posted by Stockerblog at 5:42 PM