Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Wall Street Video of the Week: Flying Car Stock

First, let's start with the disclaimer. Yes, I own shares in this company. No, I don't recommend this as an investment. [I don't make recommendations of any stock for that matter.] Sometimes I buy stocks for reasons other than investing, as strange at it may seem; but that's a topic for another article. I don't recommend the purchase, sale, holding or shorting of this stock. In case this isn't clear, this is NOT an investment recommendation, either expressed or implied.

Now that that's out of the way, there is a company called Moller International Inc. (MLER.OB), which is the only publicly traded company that I know of that's in the flying car business. I actually went to their last annual meeting. It was a little unusual in that after the meeting, they were selling what appeared to be their "annual report", along with selling pictures of their flying cars and selling almond butter! [Which I bought; it was good.] I guess they shouldn't be faulted for trying to generate revenues any way they can. They did provide a free lunch. I got to see two different models of their flying car and their flying saucer. However, I didn't get to see any of them fly. Fortunately for you, if you want to see one of them fly, you can check out the video at the Wired site.

You will notice in the video that there is a crane with a tether attached to the flying vehicle. My understanding is that it is an FAA regulation that "flying vehicles" in the testing stage that go above 10 feet must be on a tether. The vehicle actually does fly; it's not the tether that's holding it up. If you look closely at the video, you will see that the tether is slack, not tight.

Author owns shares in MLER.OB and does not recommend it as an investment.

No comments: