Louisiana, unlike any of the other states of the union is made up of Parishes, as opposed to counties. A state of subtropical temperatures, and wild hurricanes is also a land of great riches. Louisiana refines more oil than any other state. Here are some interesting facts about Louisiana:
1. Petroleum and natural gas are Louisiana’s number one mined products, and together they account for 90% of the total state mining income.
2. Louisiana ranks number one in shrimp production.
3. The production of chemical products are one of Louisiana’s top manufacturing industries.
4. Sugar cane is Louisiana’s top farm product.
5. 19 refineries are located within the state of Louisiana, and together they are responsible for 15% of the total refining capacity of America.
6. The state imposes a $0.20 per gallon tax on oil.
7. Almost 9,000 people are employed by refineries, and the average employee makes over $20,000 more than employees in any other industries in the state.
8. Louisiana’s fishing industry accounts for 25% of the total seafood production in the country.
9. The state produces 25% of the total U.S. production of petrochemicals
10. Louisiana is the top fur producer, including furs from nutria, muskrat and mink.
The following companies are headquartered in Louisiana:
CenturyTel, Inc. (CTL) is a telecommunications company in the United States. It provides voice, Internet and broadband services. The stock has a market cap of $3.29 billion, a PE of 9, a PEG of 1.60, and it pays a yield of 7.9%.
Lamar Advertising Company (LAMR) delivers advertising services in the United States and Canada. The stock has a market cap of $2.36 billion, a PE of 77, and a PEG of 8.94.
Tidewater, Inc. (TDW) is a support company to the offshore energy industry. It provides vessels and other marine support. The stock has a market cap of $2.08 billion, a PE of 6, a PEG of 0.12, and it pays a yield of 2.3%.
Superior Energy Services, Inc. (SPN) is a service and support company. It provides equipment to oil and gas companies drilling in the United States. The stock has a market cap of $1.42 billion, a PE of 4, and a PEG of 0.25.
The Shaw Group, Inc. (SGR) is an engineering company providing industrial services to several companies worldwide. The stock has a market cap of $1.38 billion, a PE of 21, and a PEG of 0.41.
Cleco Corporation (CNL) produces, delivers and markets electricity in the state of Louisiana. The stock has a market cap of $1.27 billion, a PE of 10, a PEG of 1.19, and it pays a yield of 4.0%.
Amedisys, Inc (AMED) renders home health services, such as nursing services, and occupational therapies in the United States. The stock has a market cap of $1.17 billion, a PE of 16, and a PEG of 0.72.
Whitney Holding Corporation (WTNY) is a banking institution providing services to retail and small business customers. The stock has a market cap of $1.12 billion, a PE of 10, a PEG of 2.34, and it pays a dividend of 6.2%.
McMoRan Exploration Co. (MMR) explores, and produces oil and natural gas. The stock has a market cap of $778.22 million, and a PE of 16.
Pool Corporation (POOL) is a wholesaler of swimming pool products and supplies, including chemicals and cleaning products. The stock has a market cap of $865.30 million, a PE of 15, a PEG of 1.49, and it pays a dividend of 2.8%.
Don't forget to check out stocks from some of the states, such as Missouri stocks, Minnesota stocks, Kansas stocks, and Iowa stocks.
Author does not own any of the above.