NYSE India Stocks: The Taj Mahal of Investments?
Many investors consider India to be the most secure of the three Asian BRIC countries, safer than Russia or China [Brazil is the fourth BRIC country]. Since the New York Stock Exchange has very strict requirements for being listed, investors often look towards NYSE stocks especially when investing in the company of a foreign country.
Some interesting facts about India:
1. It has the third largest economy in the world measured by purchasing power parity.
2. It has the tenth largest economy in the world in US dollar exchange-rate terms.
3. It is is the second fastest growing major economy in the world [9.4% GDP growth rate].
4. Services make up over 60% of their GDP.
5. The inflation rate is 5.3%.
6. It has the fourth-largest reserves in the world of coal.
7. It has the world's largest reserves of thorium, a slightly radioactive metal which has been considered an alternative nuclear fuel to uranium.
8. Its oil reserves provide 25% of the country's demand.
9. It ranks second worldwide in farm output.
10. It ranks fourteenth worldwide in factory output.
11. Its IT industry accounts for only about 1% of the total GDP.
12. In 2005, India liberalised its foreign direct investments policy to allow up to a 100% foreign investment stake in India based ventures.
Here are some Indian stocks worth looking into, all of which trade on the New York Stock Exchange and most pay dividends.
HDFC Bank Ltd. (HDB) is a Mumbai based bank which provides retail banking, wholesale banking, and treasury services. The stock has a P/E of 29.43 and a yield of 0.6%.
ICICI Bank Ltd. (IBN) is an India based bank holding company which provides commercial banking, investment banking, and insurance services. The stock has a P/E of 26.5 and a yield of 1.1%.
Mahanagar Telephone Nigam Ltd. (MTE) provides telecommunications services in Delhi and Mumbai. The stock has a P/E of 13.9 and a yield of 4.3%. The PEG is 1.96.
Patni Computer Systems Ltd. (PTI) is in the business of information technology consulting and software development. The stock has a P/E of 10.57 and a yield of 0.6%. The PEG is 0.69.
Are you ready for this one? Dr. Reddy's Laboratories Ltd. (RDY) is a pharmnaceutical company which researches, develops and markets drugs for the treatment of cancer, cardiovascular disorders, bacterial infection, and metabolic disorders. The stock has a P/E of 10.26 and a P/S of 1.63. It does not pay dividends.
Satyam Computer Services Ltd. (SAY) is in the business of information technology services and business process outsourcing services. They have a P/E of 27.14, a PEG of 0.93, and a yield of 0.6%.
Sterlite Industries India Ltd. (SLT) is a major producer of copper in India. They have a low P/E of 6.82. Earnings for the latest quarter were up 30% year over year on a revenue increase of 33%.
Tata Motors Ltd. (TTM) is a manufacturer of passenger and commercial vehicles. The P/E is 11.8 and it generates a yield of 2.3%.
Videsh Sanchar Nigam Ltd. (VSL) provides voice, data, and value-added services to companies around the world. The stock has a very high P/E of 426, a PEG of 2.75, and a yield of 1%.
Wipro Ltd. (WIT) is in the business of offering information technology services and products, and business process outsourcing services. The stock has a P/E of 26.44, a PEG of 1.07, and a yield of 0.9%.
WNS Holdings Ltd. (WNS) provides outsourcing services including data, voice, and analytical services, reservation, customer service, Web support, revenue accounting, audit and recovery, financial services processing, and many other services. The stock has a P/E of 35.57 and a PEG of 0.93.
Author does not own any of the above.
By Fred Fuld at Stockerblog.com