Thursday, October 30, 2008
Although Alabama is best known as a cotton growing state, the state produces much more, from poultry to automobiles. As a matter of fact manufacturing accounts for more than half of the total income produced within the state. Some interesting facts about Alabama follow:
1. Alabama’s GDP of $160.6 billion is the 25th largest in the country.
2. The transportation, equipment and manufacturing industry employ over 30,000 workers.
3. The agribusiness sector provides the state with 21% (476,000) jobs.
4. The aerospace industry in Alabama has grown to provide $6 billion in revenue and employ over 139,000 workers.
5. The state offers several incentives to new businesses and businesses relocating to Alabama. The Income tax capital credit, and the property & sales tax abatements are just two of the most common.
6. With the second largest contiguous forest is in America, Alabama’s paper industry is a vital industry in the state economy.
7. More than 150 banks are headquartered in Alabama.
8. The tourism industry of Alabama employs over 160,000 individuals.
9. During 2006 tourists in Alabama spent over $8 billion in the state
10. Alabama produces approximately 2.13% of total nonfuel mineral production in the United States.
The following companies are headquartered in Alabama:
Regions Financial Corporation (RF) is the holding company of Regions Bank, a retail and commercial bank in the United States. The stock has a market cap of $7.4 billion, a PE of 7, a PEG of 1.29, and it pays a yield of 3.5%.
Vulcan Materials Company (VMC) makes construction materials in the United States and Mexico. The stock has a market cap of $6.12 billion, a PE of 16, a PEG of 2.17, and it pays a yield of 3.8%.
Energen Corporation (EGN) buys, develops and produces oil, and natural gas in the United States. The stock has a market cap of $2.15 billion, a PE of 7, a PEG of 0.65, and it pays a dividend of 1.6%.
ProAssurance Corporation (PRA) is a liability insurance corporation; its clients are physicians and other health care providers. The stock has a market cap of $1.65 billion, a PE of 10, and a PEG of 0.98.
Colonia BankGroup, Inc. (CNB) is a commercial banking company, it offers mortgages and insurance services in the United States. The stock has a market cap of $1.59 billion, a PE of 14, a PEG of 11.70, and it pays a yield of 4.6%.
Health South Corporation (HLS) provides patient rehabilitation services in hospitals throughout the United States. The stock has a market cap of $1.06 billion, a PE of 4, and a PEG of 0.90.
ADTRAN, Inc. (ADTN) provides network access solutions in the United States. The stock has a market cap of $969.15 million, a PE of 13, a PEG of 1.20, and it pays a yield of 2.2%.
Protective Life Corporation (PL) is in the business of administrating insurance and investment services in the United States. The stock has a market cap of $839.97 million, a PE of 4, a PEG of 0.36, and it pays a yield of 8.1%.
Avocent Corporation (AVCT) produces, and markets hardware and software products worldwide. Its products include management software among others. The stock has a market cap of $661.17 million, a PE of 21, and a PEG of 0.59.
Infinity Property and Casualty Corporation (IPCC) is an insurance company that provides automobile insurance for individuals, commercial and industrial customers. The stock has a market cap of $611.21 million, a PE of 11, a PEG of 1.48, and it pays a yield of 1.1%.
Don't forget to check out the stocks from the states of Wisconsin, Louisiana, Michigan, and Kentucky.
Author does not own any of the above.
Posted by Stockerblog at 9:45 PM