Chicago the most populous city of Illinois is also home to the world’s second busiest airport, Chicago O’Hare. But this state’s economy does not depend on any particular city or industry. Read on to find out more:
1. Illinois is the top producer of nuclear power in the country.
2. The state offers several tax incentive programs for companies relocating to Illinois.
3. Almost 12,000 manufacturing firms are headquartered in the state, and together they operate 19,000 plants within the state.
4. The most important industries in Illinois are: food, chemicals machinery, and fabricated metals.
5. Over 2,000 banks and 1,000 savings institutions are headquartered in Illinois.
6. The agricultural industry produces more than $8 billion in income.
7. Illinois is the number one producer of soybeans and a top producer of corn.
8. More than 6,000 trucking companies call Illinois home.
9. 65% of the state soil beneath the surface is rich in coal.
10. The state is the 9th top producer of coal in the country.
The following companies are headquartered in Illinois:
Abbot Laboratories (ABT) designs, makes and sells health care products at an international level. The stock has a market cap of $77.46 billion, a PE of 19, a PEG of 1.41, and it pays a yield of 2.6%.
McDonald’s Corp. (MCD) is a chain food company, it operates not only in the US market, but also worldwide. The stock has a market cap of $58.57 billion, a PE of 14, a PEG of 1.45, and it pays a yield of 3.8%.
Kraft Foods, Inc. (KFT) makes and sells packaged foods in the United States and abroad. It also makes and sales beverages. The stock has a market cap of $42.05 billion, a PE of 17, a PEG of2.10, and it pays a yield of 3.8%
Baxter International, Inc. (BAX) is a healthcare provider company with operations worldwide. The stock has a market cap of $36.67 billion, a PE of 20, a PEG of 1.55, and it pays a yield of 1.4%.
The Boeing Company, (BA) develops, makes and markets parts and supports for commercial, and military aircraft. The stock has a market cap of $32.87 billion. It has a PE of 8, a PEG of 0.70, and it pays a yield of 3.2%.
Exelon Corporation (EXC) produces, delivers and sells electricity to residential, industrial and commercial customers in Illinois. The stock has a market cap of $31.66 billion, a PE of 12, a PEG of 1.90, and it pays a yield of 3.7%.
Caterpillar, Inc. (CAT) makes and markets mining and construction equipment. The stock has a market cap of $27.27 billion, a PE of 7, a PEG of 0.68, and it pays a yield of 3.5%.
Walgreen Co. (WAG) is a pharmacy chain throughout the U.S. The stock has a market cap of $25.02 billion, a PE 12, a PEG of 0.84, and it pays a yield of 1.7%.
CME Group Inc. (CME) manages two futures exchanges, CME, and CBOT. Some of its products are: futures and options, equity indexes, and foreign exchange. The stock has a market cap of $19.39billion, a PE of 22, a PEG of 1.19, and it pays a yield of 1.2%,
Illinois Tool Works, Inc. (ITW) makes industrial equipment. It also makes packaging products. The stock has a market cap of $18.18 billion, a PE of 11, a PEG of 0.89, and it pays a yield of 3.4%.
Don't forget to check out stocks from some of the other central states, such as Missouri stocks, Minnesota stocks, Kansas stocks, and Iowa stocks.
Author owns MCD.