Tuesday, October 14, 2008
Michigan is best known for its auto industry and its beautiful shoreline, which is also the largest freshwater coastline in the world.
Although Michigan’s main industry today continues to be the manufacturing industry, the state government encourages different industries to locate in the state through its attractive incentive programs. Some interesting facts about Michigan follow:
1. Michigan’s manufacturing industry produces 30% of the total state revenue.
2. Recently enacted legislation mandates that by 2015, Michigan’s energy be produced from renewable sources.
3. Michigan has a tax-free zone designed for the food processing industry, the forestry industry and the renewable energy industry.
4. Michigan’s top agricultural products are dairy products, cattle and calves, hogs and chicken eggs.
5. Michigan is the top producer of automobiles in the United States. Its production accounts for 21% of all automobiles manufactured within the country.
6. In 2007 visitors to Michigan spent $18.1 billion.
7. Michigan is the top producer of tart cherries.
8. The state’s top agricultural export was soybeans, totaling $960 million.
9. There are more than 4,000 oil wells in production currently in Michigan.
10. The oil and gas industry generates over 10,000 jobs In the state.
The following companies are headquartered in Michigan:
The Dow Chemical Company (DOW) makes and markets chemicals, plastics, and agricultural products. The stock has a market cap of $23.85 billion, a PE of 10, a PEG of 1.53 and it pays a dividend of 5.9%.
Stryker Corporation (SYK) is a medical development company with operations worldwide. The stock has a market cap of $21.37 billion, a PE of 20, a PEG of 1.10, and it pays a yield of 0.6%.
Kellogg Company (K) makes and sales cereals and related products. The stock has a market cap of $18.45 billion, a PE of 17, a PEG of 1.93, and it pays a yield of 2.4%.
Ford Motor Company (F) develops and manufactures cars and trucks worldwide. Ford’s stock has a market value of $4.70 billion.
DTE Energy Company (DTE) is a utility company that produces, delivers and sells electric power and natural gas in the United States. The stock has a market cap of $5.22 billion, a PE of 8, a PEG of 2.02, and it pays a yield of 5.9%.
Masco Corporation (MAS) is a home improvement company with business in the U.S. and international markets. It makes, sells and installs different building products. The stock has a market cap of $4.86 billion, a PE of 35, a PEG of 1.80, and it pays a dividend of 5.9%.
Whirlpool Corporation (WHR) designs, makes and distributes home appliances worldwide. The stock has a market cap of $4.08 billion, a PE of 9, a PEG of 0.89, and it pays a yield of 2.6%.
General Motors Corporation (GM) develops and manufactures cars, trucks and automobile parts worldwide. The stock has a market cap of $2.69 billion, and it has a yield of 13.2% based on previous payments.
Perrigo Company (PRGO) is a pharmaceutical company. It produces both, over the counter medicines and prescription drugs. The stock has a market cap of $3.03 billion, a PE of 23, a PEG of 0.87, and it pays a yield of 0.6%.
Pulte Homes, Inc. (PHM) is a homebuilding company in the United States. It also provides financial services. The stock has a market cap of $2.7 billion, and it pays a dividend of 1.4% based on previous payments.
Don't forget to check out stocks from some of the states, such as Missouri stocks, Minnesota stocks, Kansas stocks, and Iowa stocks.
Author owns F.
Posted by Stockerblog at 10:45 PM