Tuesday, November 18, 2008
Until 1990, gambling in Mississippi was not permitted. Now it is a major source of revenue for the state and an attractive tourist attraction. Following are some interesting facts about Mississippi:
1. 25% of total employment is generated by the agriculture industry.
2. Mississippi most important agricultural products are poultry and eggs, forestry, soybeans and corn.
3. The state offers different business incentives to new businesses and businesses relocating to Mississippi. They include tax credits, and tax exemptions.
4. The top manufactured products are processed foods, beverages, dairy and grain products.
5. Between 2004 and 2005 Mississippi’s export increased by 26% to achieve a record $4 billion.
6. Mississippi’s top export are chemical products.
7. Manufacturing firms employ 172,000 workers in the state.
8. Mississippi’s oil reserves rank it number 13 out of 50 states, with 167 million barrels of oil.
9. Mississippi has the lowest cost of living of all states.
10. In 2006 the total state product was $84 billion.
The following companies are headquartered in Mississippi:
BacorpSouth, Inc. (BX) is a financial institution, providing services to individuals and businesses in several states. The stock has a market cap of $2.11 billion, a PE of 15, a PEG of 1.93, and it pays a yield of 3.6%.
Hancock Holding Company (HBHC) is a financial institution. It services include banking, and lending. The stock has a market cap of $1.49 billion, a PE of 20, a PEG of 1.78, and it pays a yield of 2.1%.
Trustmark Corporation (TRMK) is a financial company. Its services include banking and financial services for individuals, institutions and corporations. The stock has a market cap of $1.19 billion, a PE of 12, a PEG of 1.33, and it pays a yield of 4.4%.
EastGroup Properties, Inc. (EGP) is a real estate company. It purchases and develops properties throughout the United States. The stock has a market cap of $905.92 million, a PE of 27, a PEG of 1.17 and it pays a yield of 5.9%.
Sanderson Farms, Inc. (SAFM) is a poultry processing company. The stock has a market cap of $672.82 million, a PE of 21, a PEG of 9.13, and it pays a yield of 1.6%.
Cal-Maine Foods, Inc. (CALM) is in the business of producing and packaging shell eggs. The stock has a market cap of $668.23 million, a PE of 5, and it pays a yield of 2.5%.
Renasant Corporation (RNST) is a financial and insurance company. Its clients are retail and commercial businesses. The stock has a market cap of $416.98 million, a PE of 13, a PEG of 1.56, and it pays a yield of 3.4%.
Parkway Properties, Inc. (PKY) is a real estate company, it purchases, manages and rents office space. The stock has a market cap of $312.90 million, a PEG of 1.25, and it pays a yield of 12.4%.
Callon Petroleum Company (CPE) is an oil and gas exploration company. The stock has a market cap of $237.19 million, a PE of 12, and a PEG of 0.77.
Peoples Financial Corporation (PFBX) is a financial institution providing banking services in the United States. The stock has a market cap of $103.78 million, a PE of 17, and it pays a yield of 2.8%.
Don't forget to check out the stocks from the states of Wisconsin, Louisiana, Michigan, and Kentucky.
Author does not own any of the above.
Posted by Stockerblog at 3:26 PM