Saturday, November 22, 2008
South Carolina Stocks
A state of white sand beaches, mountain trails, and historic sites… And it is not Hawaii; we are talking about South Carolina. Some other facts that you may not know about South Carolina follow:
1. South Carolina’s GSP ranks 28th nationally, with a total of $152 billion.
2. The state offers low corporate income taxes and no state property tax as a way to attract new business to the state.
3. Tourism industry produces $16.7 billion each year.
4. The top agricultural commodities are broilers, greenhouse and floriculture products, turkeys and cattle and calves.
5. South Carolina’s agribusiness provides employment for 200,000 workers.
6. Forests cover 2/3 of South Carolina’s surface and they provide for one of the state’s most valuable crops: timber, which produces $835 million annually.
7. Mined minerals within the state have a value of $480 million.
8. South Carolina is the top of producer of cement, and second in the production of kaolin.
9. The state exports transportation equipment, chemical manufactures, and machinery manufactures, for a total of $9.8 billion.
10. The top destination for South Carolina’s export is Germany, Canada, and Mexico.
The following companies are headquartered in South Carolina:
Scana Corporation (SCG) produces transports and sells electricity to customers in South Carolina. The stock has a market cap of $3.63 billion, a PE of 11, a PEG of 2.22, and it pays a yield of 5.8%.
Sonoco Products Company, (SON) produces consumer packaging products, and provides packaging services to the industrial sector in the United States. The stock has a market cap of $2.39 billion, a PE of 12, a PEG of 1.15, and it pays a yield of 5.1%.
AVX Corporation (AVX) produces, markets and distributes passive electronic components in the United States and internationally. The stock has a market cap of $1.43 billion, a PE of 10, a PEG of 0.94, and it pays a dividend of 1.8%.
Blackbaud, Inc. (BLKB) designs and offers software to nonprofit organizations. The stock has a market cap of $666.22 million, a PE of 20, a PEG of 1.15, and it pays a yield of 2.8%.
ScanSource, Inc. (SCSC) is a wholesaler of technology products. The stock has a market cap of $542.53 million, a PE of 10, and a PEG of 0.66.
The South Financial Group, Inc. (TSFG) acts as the holding company for Carolina First Bank and Mercantile Bank. The stock has a market cap of $473.38 million, and it pays a yield of 0.5%.
First Citizens Bancorporation, Inc. (FCBN) is the holding company for First Citizen Bank and Trust Company. The stock has a market cap of $361.68 million, a PE of 6, and it pays a yield of 0.3%.
World Acceptance Corporation (WRLD) is a finance company. Its services include small loans and credit insurance products. The stock has a market cap of $438.39 million; it has a PE of 8, and a PEG of 0.53.
SCBT Financial (SCBT) renders retails services and commercial banking services through its subsidiaries. The stock has a market cap of $340.64 million, a PE of 14, a PEG of 1.38, and it pays a dividend of 2.1%.
First Financials Holdings, Inc. (FFCH) is the holding company of First Federal Savings and Loan Association of Charleston. The stock has a market cap of $244.29 million, a PE of 11, a PEG of 1.18, and it pays a yield of 5.1%.
Don't forget to check out the stocks from the states of Wisconsin, Louisiana, Michigan, and Kentucky.
Author does not own any of the above.
Posted by Stockerblog at 1:09 AM