Tuesday, November 25, 2008
If there is half as much future as there is history for Tennessee, then it is a bright future. And according to several independent organizations, Tennessee is one of the best states in the country to do business. The future is looking bright! Here are some interesting facts about the state:
1. The state offers several incentives for new businesses and businesses relocating to Tennessee. They include, tax credits and tax exemptions.
2. 80% of the state land is used for agricultural and forestry purposes.
3. Tennessee most important crops are tobacco, soybeans, and cotton.
4. The agricultural industry produces more than $2.5 billion in cash receipts.
5. In a report issued by the American Legislative Exchange Council Tennessee is the 5th best economy in the country.
6. Tennessee mining industry employs 4,200 workers and it generates income in excess of $800 million.
7. Currently oil, coal and natural gas mined in the state account for 10% of total mineral mining income in Tennessee.
8. The tourism industry economic impact is $14.2 billion.
9. Tennessee’s retail industry employs 315,000 workers and is a $70 billion industry.
10. The state’s manufacturing industry is dominated by the processed foods sector (grain products, cereals and breads).
The following companies are headquartered in Tennessee:
FedEx Corporation (FDX) provides business services worldwide; its services include freight, ground and express shipping. The stock has a market cap of $19.47 billion, a PE of 21, a PEG of 1.00, and it pays a yield of 0.7%.
International Paper Company (IP) makes papers for writing and printing, market pulp, and other paper products. The stock has a market cap of $7.70 billion, a PE of 6, a PEG of 0.99 and it pays a yield of 9%.
Unum Group (UNM) operates in the United States, and the United Kingdom as a provider of disability products, and other insurance products. The stock has a market cap of $5.49 billion, a PE of 8, a PEG 0.65, and it pays a yield of 1.7%.
AutoZone Inc. (AZO) is a distributor and retailer of parts and accessories for automobiles. The stock has a market cap of $6.35 billion, a PE of 11, and a PEG of 0.79.
Eastman Chemical Company (EMN) makes and markets chemicals, plastics and other products. The stock has a market cap of $3.16 billion, a PE of 9, a PEG of 1.22, and it pays a dividend of 4.3%.
First Horizon National Corporation (FHN) is a holding company for First Tennessee Bank. The stock has a market cap of $2.26 billion, and it pays a dividend of 6.9%.
Regal Entertainment Group (RGC) manages movie theaters in the United States. The stock has a market cap of $2.07 billion, a PE of 23, a PEG of 2.01, and it pays a yield of 8.6%.
Corrections Corporation of America (CXW) owns and manages prisons. It provides transportation services for inmates, healthcare, and other services. The stock has a market cap of $2.22 billion, a PE of 16, and a PEG of 0.81.
King Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (KG) supplies pharmaceutical products in the United States and internationally. The stock has a market cap of $2.03 billion, a PE of 15, and a PEG of 0.71.
Community Health Systems, Inc. (CYH) renders healthcare services in the United States. The company owns and operates hospitals. The stock has a market cap of $1.71 billion, a PE of 56, and a PEG of 0.55.
Don't forget to check out the stocks from the states of Wisconsin, Louisiana, Michigan, and Kentucky.
Author does not own any of the above.
Posted by Stockerblog at 9:29 PM